What is an HMO?

From 1 October 2018 mandatory licensing is changing and The Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Prescribed Description) (England) Order 2018 will replace the 2006 order of the same name.

The term House in Multiple Occupation refers to a rental property which falls into one of the following criteria:

  • A house which is split into bedsits
  • A house, or flatshare, where each of your tenants has their own tenancy agreement
  • Students who live in shared accommodation

As a landlord, you must license your rental property as an HMO with your local authority if it is occupied by five or more unrelated people who share an amenity such as bathroom or kitchen facilities.

As part of your application for an HMO License, you will be required to provide a floor plan of the property which shows room dimensions, smoke and heat detectors, all doors, fire doors, windows and escape windows.